Opportunities and Challenges for the Sports Industry in the Digital Age
A seminar as part of the Birkbeck Sport Business Centre Public Seminar Series
Given by: Chris Paget & Jonny Madill (sports lawyers at Sheridans)
Malet Street Building
London WC1E 7HX
Monday 13th February 2017 at 6pm
For directions click here.
Attendance at the event is free but you need TO REGISTER.
Digital disruption in the sports sector is increasingly influencing the sector’s media environment. In this seminar Chris Paget and Jonny Madill from the SportsGroup at Sheridans, the leading sports law firm, give an insight into some of the opportunities and challenges within an increasingly digital world for stakeholders within the sports industry, whether NGBs, clubs, rights holders, athletes, agencies or brands. The session will look at a range of issues including fan engagement (and the importance of digital and data) in a mobile-first generation, how technology is driving the sports industry, and the ever-changing media rights landscape. The discussion will aim to:
- demystify the notion of the digital disruption of the sports industry;
- consider the opportunities and challenges for sports stakeholders in the context of driving fan engagement in the digital age; and
- give an overview of some topical case studies, legal issues and wider industry trends in the context of sport’s digital revolution.
Chris Paget and Jonny Madill are lawyers in the Sports Group at Sheridans. They advise domestic and international sports clients, including federations, governing bodies, leagues, clubs, agents and agencies, athletes, sports tech companies and esports brands. Chris and Jonny specialise in commercial, technology, digital, regulatory, governance, disciplinary and dispute resolution matters within the sports sector. They work with and within a wide range of sports including football, rugby union and league, cricket, athletics, tennis, golf, hockey, cycling, netball and esports.
Chris and Jonny co-lead the Sheridans Digital Sport Group, have written for numerous sports publications and regularly speak at sports industry conferences on a variety of matters. They are co-editors of the Sheridans Sports blog, the ‘BackPage’.
- You can contact Chris at cpaget@Sheridans.co.uk and follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/paget_chris.
- You can contact Jonny at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jonnymadill89.
- Madill, J. (24 November 2016). Driving fan engagement in the digital age: what digital disruption really means for sport. Medium.com.
A video recording of this presentation can be viewed at:
General Seminar Series Details
For further details on this seminar series contact:
Department of Management
Tel: 020 7631 6763
Twitter: @BirkbecksportView all Events